6/11/2008

The Future of the Republican Party

隨意寫下這篇不想費神翻譯希望介意

The race is over.
The Democratic Party won the Presidency by a landslide, and will lead the Congress in majority.

The analysis implied it could have been worse for the Republican Party, and I agree.  I don’t believe the Obama tsunami has cost the lost of those seats in the Senate and the House.  I believe it was the candidates themselves, and the GOP itself, which led to their own defeat.  I also believe for the years to come, if the GOP doesn’t realize what cost them, and only blames it on a mixed race American with a funny name, or the economy, they will have more defeats lying in their doorstep.

Let me begin by asking this question: after their presidencies, where did the GOP presidents go?  Where was Ronald Regan?  Where was George Bush 41st?  And you can pretty much assume where George W Bush 43rd will be.

No where.  They retire.  They retreat back to their secluded upper class comfort, surround themselves with their old pals.

And where are the Democratic presidents?  Jimmy Carter is still out there fighting for humanity and human rights in different parts of the world.  Bill Clinton, other than having highly paid speeches to help pay off his attorney fees, also finds time to build the Clinton Global Initiative.  And albeit being just the vice-president and experienced a well-known defeat of the presidential bid , Al Gore is still out there devoting himself into something he believes in, which also has something to do with the welfare of the world.

You know what I’m trying to say?

No, it’s not about whether the Democratic presidents have actually achieved anything after they left their offices.

It’s about why people get into politics in the first place, may it be a Republican or a Democrat.  And why it will be gloomy for the GOP future.

Those who are at the top tier of politics are no doubt ambitious, and get ego boost from recognition.  But some want the top job because of what the job entails, and others, like most of the GOP top dogs, just want it because it IS the top job. 

You know the type.  The kid who wants to win every game, the same kid who wants to be an eagle scout, the homecoming “king”.  Why does he want all that?  Because that’s what the culture tells him, that’s what his peers tell him, and of course that’s what dad tells him.  Be at the top or be gone.  I call them “icing chaser”.  And what’s better icing than the number 1 job in the world?

That’s where the problem lays.  He could be gloomed by poppa or uncles who have been in power, or he could be self-made billionaire who can’t be satisfied by his fortune and need to find the next ego fix.  Whatever the reason, the GOP protégés go into politics for the wrong reason.

That’s why once they got the job, the job is over, because the whole job is just to get the job!  If there is anything done right in their presidencies, it’s usually because of timing and coincidences (Regan taking the praise for the end of the cold war), not because they actively pursue to solve any problems and to make the world a better place.

And that’s why once the presidency is over, they disappear from the world, because there is no higher job to obtain, it’s the end of the icing chase.

The Democratic presidents?  Of course they have ambitions too, and huge egos.  But at least their intellect and discipline fit their ambitions.  They couldn’t just barely make it to college (McCain, Bush 43rd), because they would need to be top of the class to get the scholarships to finish school.  They didn’t have dads and grandpas paving the paths for them (except for Kennedy).  They didn’t have time or second chances to screw up their young lives. 

Instead of using their intellect to make millions, they have a greater sense of purpose, they want to serve.  They don’t get the ego boost simply by getting the job, but by doing the job well.  They want to be recognized by all, not just their peers and papas. 

That is also why there is no end to their paths, because they are addicted to serve.  I can’t imagine seeing Carter or Clinton retiring in a ranch.

The irony to this particular presidential campaign is…. if McCain was not raised by generations of 4-star admiral, he would have made a good middle ranking Democrat.  He wasn't called the "maverick" of the GOP for no reason!  He will continue to serve, we should give him some credit.  Imagine if it was Mitt Romney running!

The future of the Republican Party lies in the composition of the party, and where they find their new bloods.  If they continue to run in an inner circle of old school blue blooded elites without taking consideration of their intellects and sense of purpose, they will continue to fail.  Believe it or not, enough Americans are still smart enough to know if you want their votes for the RIGHT reason.

Elites they do need.  Just elites not by blood, or money, but by caliber, and by virtue.

But then, who has caliber and virtue in his/her right mind would want to join a party that is against pro-choice, against gun control, against stem cell research, against gay rights? 

Beats me.



11 則留言:

  1. 我唔係美國住,當然好多唔瞭解...
    但係香港,好多人都話奧巴馬應該當選
    已成事實..good luck嘅!!
    [版主回覆11/07/2008 08:40:00]我主要都係寫吓民主/共和兩黨啲高層政客有乜唔同啫。
     
    真係要啲 luck!我覺得如果美國人自己唔有啲基本嘅改變,就算有奧巴馬都未必掂!

    回覆刪除
  2. 唔緊要嘅 ~ 睇唔明咪過嚟探吓你囉 ~ Hi !
    [版主回覆11/07/2008 08:37:00]我都預咗寫呢篇無乜人會理我,但係估唔到你咁sweet都仲支持吓!多謝哂!獎Shiro一個Kiss!

    回覆刪除
  3.   " 獎Shiro " .... .. .. 亞姐  ... 探你嗰個好似係我喎
    [版主回覆11/07/2008 11:39:00]你同Shiro一條心嘛!有好嘢你實預埋佢嘅!

    回覆刪除
  4. Personally, I don't like Obama!
    [版主回覆11/08/2008 04:12:00]I have to say I grow to like him, but I do admire the way he ran his campaign. 

    回覆刪除
  5. I've stopped by your blog a few times and this was the first time I left a message. I love your writing and the articles you post. May I know who's the author of this article? And cheers to Obama!
    [版主回覆11/08/2008 04:15:00]Thank you so much for visiting.  Come by more often please.
     
    Haha, the rambling was from me.  I just wrote it because I was alone in the house and I felt like "talking to someone".... haha.

    回覆刪除
  6. WOW - I think it's a very well-written article!  After reading through some of your entries, I am surprised to see there is another woman out there who does not enjoy sharing the bed with her husband!!! I've lived in my own apartment for nearly 5 years before moving in with my partner two years ago, and I have to say there is time when I miss my single life!
    [版主回覆11/08/2008 12:50:00]Haha, after college, even though i had boyfriends on and off, I have always lived by myself, that's almost 15 years!  I didn't want roommate, or even share a place with boyfriends.  You can imagine how hard it is for me to adjust to living with someone under the same roof with me. 
     
    I like being married, but I will have to say I also miss my single life!

    回覆刪除
  7. 你真係唔出書"浪費"咗你!!! 你可以試下投搞搵下外快啦
    [版主回覆11/09/2008 11:24:00]我懶呀,而且都係一般「吹水」嘢啫,未夠班。我以前有個全英文blog,大部份posts都係咁架。

    回覆刪除
  8. 第一次時睇你依篇blog, 我以爲係你post啲作者文章, 原來係你自己寫架! 好犀利!
    [版主回覆11/10/2008 04:56:00]係呀,我寫架,我以為第一句已經講咗。
     
    我以前鍾意寫英文,依家唔想中文愈來愈差,所以番寫中文。

    回覆刪除
  9. Wow, it looks like a professional writing
    [版主回覆11/19/2008 11:15:00]都係亂寫啫,仲差好遠呢!

    回覆刪除
  10. Southerngal19/11/08 11:42

    great article...
    the scary right now is they're actually trying to build Palin up for 2012...
    [版主回覆11/19/2008 12:06:00]she is too much of an outsider for the GOP top dogs to consider her seriously.  she is actually too stupid for anyone to consider her seriously!  ha ha.

    回覆刪除
  11. Southerngal20/11/08 11:04

    i know... but living in the south... i'm amazed so many people thinks she's great... and I saw Palen 2012 sticker one someone's car... it drove me nuts!
    I think people think she's great, because they can "relate" to her, but the problem is I don't want to pick a president to be able to relate to, I want someone to be smart enough to lead the country! Plus many things that she said before, I just have serious doubts about her (even though I'm a Christian myself... I don't agree on some of her "theories"!!!)
    [版主回覆11/21/2008 06:07:00]喺南方可能仲有啲保守派人士,但係成個美國嘅demographic已經變咗。而且即使南方,啲年紀輕嘅人已經同佢哋嘅父母一代差好遠,要多謝互聯網,如果唔係啲南方人仲係好鄉下仔。

    回覆刪除